Brushless like-for-like replacement for brushed 380 motor?

A place to talk and ask questions about any RC product.

Moderators: GiantsharkRC, Pushycatflyer

Brushless like-for-like replacement for brushed 380 motor?

Postby aesmith » Mon May 31, 2010 7:56 am

Hi,

My plane has a brushed motor which is said to be a 380. Battery is 9.6v cell NiMH 1100mA and its a 6x3 folding prop. I need to replace the ESC because the existing one isn't compatible with standard radio gear. What I was wondering, was whether I could go brushless without changing anything else - ie buy a new motor and ESC but keep the existing prop and battery.

I'd describe the model as a low-performance motor glider ("cold liner"?), it weighs around 650g. I wouldn't say no to more power, but to honest it flies fine with the existing rig.
Could anyone recommend a motor / ESC combination to suit, using parts from GC of course.

Thanks, Tony S
aesmith

Re: Brushless like-for-like replacement for brushed 380 motor?

Postby aesmith » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 am

How would something like this work ?
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/xyh3530-1400k ... 02741.html

Might be a bit more power than needed. I would have to change the prop I guess, since the shaft is bigger. Anyone suggest a suitable folding prop for this? I assume that for an ESC its just a matter of getting the right load capacity. Thanks.
aesmith

Postby rosicrucian » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:48 pm

aesmith wrote:Hi,

My plane has a brushed motor which is said to be a 380. Battery is 9.6v cell NiMH 1100mA and its a 6x3 folding prop. I need to replace the ESC because the existing one isn't compatible with standard radio gear. What I was wondering, was whether I could go brushless without changing anything else - ie buy a new motor and ESC but keep the existing prop and battery.

I'd describe the model as a low-performance motor glider ("cold liner"?), it weighs around 650g. I wouldn't say no to more power, but to honest it flies fine with the existing rig.
Could anyone recommend a motor / ESC combination to suit, using parts from GC of course.

Thanks, Tony S

fc 2812 1650 kv, small, light, cheap and powerfull for it's size.
mike.
rosicrucian

Postby aesmith » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if that motor can be reversed, to mount inside the nose instead of stuck out in front? I assume from the prop recommendations that its a slower speed than my existing prop. Would a 25A ESC be OK do you reckon? Thanks
aesmith

Postby rosicrucian » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:32 pm

aesmith wrote:Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if that motor can be reversed, to mount inside the nose instead of stuck out in front? I assume from the prop recommendations that its a slower speed than my existing prop. Would a 25A ESC be OK do you reckon? Thanks

probably,never tried,i never use props smaller than 7 inch, lousy efficiency, 25 amps is enough with a 7x3 or 4.
mike.
rosicrucian

Return to Product Talk